Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Today I Am A Pioneer Woman





But not the blogger, even though she is fun to read.  Today I am the real thing.


This morning at 5 o'clock in the AM (just to clarify) I awoke from a deep sleep.  Immediately, I could smell something not right.  It was hot and it was electrical.  


"Something's burning."  I said to Craig and he agreed.  It was a very strong smell of burning metal.  


He jumped up and started looking around the house and I got up to see if I could detect where it was coming from.  I don't know about you, but in our house, I have the most sensitive nose. It must be a woman thing.  Smells just bother me more.


Anyway.  It was very quickly determined that it was our lower level furnace making the smell  so off it went.  The fan motor appeared to be about to burst into flames and the vents in our master bedroom were very hot to the touch.  That is not a normal thing here.


So, of course, I went back to bed with the emergency over while my more awake husband built a fire in the fireplace.  He has to go "away" to work today so he had to get up anyway.  It is usually the other way around here.  I get up and get the kids up and he sleeps a little longer since he only "commutes" to the basement now.  


The furnace fixers will apparently be calling me sometime this morning to tell me if they can fix it today.  And I will be literally keeping the home fires burning all day in order to stay warm.  


Good thing I learned early in our marriage how to build and keep a fire to keep warm.  We had only a wood stove to heat our trailer house back in the day.  That was fortunate for me now that I will BE pioneer woman today.  


I guess being a middle aged woman will have the advantage  today in more ways than one!




1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm so glad you figured this out before something worse happened. And glad you got it fixed. :)

    ReplyDelete