Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Right Medicine

Apparently the entire world of middle-aged women are in a funk right now. At least I know of about 3 or 4 who are and that is kind of my world these days.


I was reading my friend Shelly's blog yesterday and it seemed like all of the gals who commented were feeling similar to her.  Also, today a Facebook friend literally said she was in a funk.  Personally, I don't really like that word because it is so similar to a naughty one, but for this feeling, it works.


You should read Shelly's blog because she is an amazing writer but also because she is a real human being who struggles just like you and me.  And I'm going to be honest, I've been struggling the past couple weeks.  I think that all of the reasons that were given in Shelly's post were contributing to my funkiness.  But the primary reason is that I haven't been in the Word.  


Isn't is amazing how communication is foundational to a relationship?  (If there were any men reading this they would all still be trying to grasp that one, but, I doubt there are any so that point is moot.) WHY do we I think that I can get through a day or a minute without knowing what God's word says to me regardless of how many times in my life I have read that particular passage.


So today I jumped back into reading my Daily Walk Bible.  There was a part of me that wanted to "make up" for what I skipped but I knew that was a performance issue and not a relationship issue.  So I dug in to today's passage which happened to be the entire book of First Thessalonians. 


The whole book is really great but something that jumped out at me being a Heaven studier was that each of the five chapters end with an exhortation based on the fact that Jesus is coming again.  I love seeing Heaven in every book of the Bible.


But the verse that spoke to me was verse 13 of chapter 3.  "As a result, Christ will make your hearts strong, blameless, and holy when you stand before God our Father on that day when our Lord Jesus comes with all those who belong to him."


That really HIT me.  It caused me to want to write it down in a word picture of sorts.  That's just who I am.  So I drew this:



Then I tacked it up on the cupboard door above my desk.  As I looked at it I realized that right now my heart feels WEAK, GUILTY and SINFUL.  How great is God that He WILL make my heart STRONG, BLAMELESS and HOLY one day when I stand in His presence.  Not just that He wants to but He WILL because He CAN.  


Why do I seek other remedies for my weakness, guilt and sinfulness when God has the prescription right there in His Word for me to take every day?  All I have to do is open the book up and read it.  He even has a script for funk.


Dear brothers and sisters, honor those who are your leaders in the Lord's work. They work hard among you and warn you against all that is wrong.  Think highly of them and give them your  wholehearted love because of their work.  And remember to live peaceably with each other.


Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy.  Encourage those who are timid.  Take tender care of those who are weak.  Be patient with everyone.


See that no one pays back evil for evil, but always try to do good to each other and to everyone else.


Always be joyful.  Keep on praying.  No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.


Do not stifle the Holy Spirit.  Do not scoff at prophesies, but test everything that is said.  Hold on to what is good.  Keep away from every kind of evil.


Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until that day when our Lord Jesus Christ comes again. God, who calls you, is faithful; he will do this.


Dear brothers and sisters, pray for us.


Greet all the brothers and sisters in Christian love.


I command you in the name of the Lord to read this letter to all the brothers and sisters.


And may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all of you.


1 Thessalonians 5:12-28  



3 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME, Linda! And I think you are absolutely right. I've spent the past couple of days in the book of James and my heart feels a little more settled now. Ready for Bible study tomorrow.

    Thanks for the great encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you two are such encouragers for me. I'm so thankful for our new 'relationship'! Thanks to you both!! I know that a lot of my funk is the same as yours...I have not been in the Word and haven't even been to church the last two weeks! Tomorrow is a new day:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable last couple of days here. Finally got some decent sleep last night (not great, but decent.) But most importantly, this morning I got back in the Word. Guess where I was reading--I Thessalonians 5!
    I'm going to copy your word picture idea to put with my memory verse cards. :)

    ReplyDelete