Tuesday, March 16, 2010

We Went To See The Wizard, But Come To Think Of It, He Is The Only One We DIDN'T See

My mom is here this week visiting and we are T R Y I N G to have fun.  But my girls are making it a little difficult.  Let's just say there is a bit of bickering going on while we are doing spring break around here.

Today we went on a sort of adventure which began with going to the Oz Museum in Wamego, KS. I do not know why this museum is placed in this town or even if it is a "sanctioned" Oz place but we decided to go check it out and be all touristy.

After the museum we met Nathan, my oldest, who drove up from Wichita for lunch in Manhattan and he asked about the museum.  He said he had seen signs advertising it on a lot of his drive up.  I said it was cute but not sure if it is "sign worthy".   I'll leave that decision up to you my bloggy readers.

Wamego is a small town and very typical of Kansas towns. Here is what we saw as we drove up to the museum.

But probably the best surprise was getting out of the car and seeing the store NEXT to the museum:


 Seriously.  Toto's Tacoz!

I would have liked to check out this place across the street but we had a museum to tour.
That's Poppyfield Gallery.  Sounds really cute, doesn't it?

Anyway.  I'll share with you our adventure in Oz through pictures and you can let me know if this "museum" is "sign worthy".
My girls with you-know-who.
That's the dead witch of the east wearing Katrina's shoes.  Don't tell the curator.
No worries!  We left them like we found them.
If you ever find yourself in Wamego, KS you can see a signed original Wizard of Oz book.

A dress "similar" to one worn by Judy Garland in the movie on the left. And if you look very closely, you'll see a piece of fabric from the hem of her actual dress below the picture shown on the right.




The Scarecrow.
The Tin Man.
The Lion.










The Witch.



And even an actual flying monkey figurine that was actually used for filming the movie.















Oh, and Glinda.  She's the one in pink standing next to my Mom.

You'll even see a poster of a Rolling Stone cover with the cast of Seinfeld dressed as the characters in the Wizard of Oz.

But you will NOT see the Wizard.

No comments:

Post a Comment