Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday Food





This salad has been making me very happy the past couple weeks.  Not only do I love all the ingredients, but it reminds me of a delicious dish that I was served in Russia 9 years ago.


Last weekend, after almost forgetting it, (yes I'm a terrible mother) we "celebrated" Gotcha Day with our daughter Anna.  We adopted her 9 years ago on August 13th and picked her up from her orphanage on August 14, 2001.  


One of my favorite things about Russia was the tomatoes. They were so red and flavor filled.  My husband says it was probably because of Chernobyl but I'll pretend it was just good farming.


Anyway, something I ordered in a restaurant for lunch one day was a salad just like this one.  It was also served to us for breakfast when we overnighted at the orphanage.  


For years I've been remembering that wonderful salad and hoping to recreate it.  Recently I found a recipe on this website that has brought all of the summer happiness to my mouth.


So here it is:


Tomato, Cucumber and Red Onion Salad


2 large cucumbers-halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced or cubed


1/3 cup red wine vinegar


1 tablespoon white sugar


1 teaspoon salt


3 large tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped


2/3 cup coarsely chopped red onion


1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves


3 tablespoons olive oil


salt and pepper to taste


Directions:  In a large bowl, toss together the cucumbers, vinegar, sugar and salt.  Let stand at room temperature for an hour, stirring occasionally.


Add tomatoes, onion, mint and oil to cucumbers and toss to blend.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.


*********************************************************


If you are not a fan of mint or just a bit leery about it being in your salad cut back on the amount of it or leave it out.  I've also made it with a dash of dill when I didn't have fresh mint leaves.  You get to taste more of the other flavors that way.


And as always, if you happen to have potatoes with it and use sour cream that merges into this salad it is even more delicious.  Russians love their sour cream on everything!


Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. Hey Linda! This sounds good! Maybe I should have a link-up to my Friday Food posts--would you want to play??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda, this recipe looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete