Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Grace of God

There, but by the grace of God, go I.  

I just got home from a Walmart run to get a few groceries.  I hauled them all into the house and flicked on my XM radio to this hour's favorite, Dave Ramsey.

A woman called in to ask for financial advice because her husband has metastatic melanoma and will surely die within the next year.

Dave is a pretty happy-go-lucky guy and has a lot of fun on his radio show.  But when he gets calls like this one he gets very serious and shows so much compassion.

I couldn't help but think about the above phrase.  

In the summer of 2006 I was planning for my eventual death from melanoma myself.  After a small, strange, little mole removal I got the terrifying news that it was not "nothing" as it had been assumed but was indeed cancer.  Unless you've ever had your dear doctor place her hand on your leg and say "I'm so sorry,"  you will not understand this like I understand that lady on the phone today.

I don't know why two different lab reports said that my cancer was metastatic and therefore without hope but they did.  I don't know why my oncologist was haltingly positive while I felt as if the ground was falling out from beneath me.  

I don't know why they tell me that I am now considered "cancer free" when by all accounts I should have been dead 3 years ago.  But I'm thankful for the wake up call.  I'm extremely grateful for the mercy of God who seemed to have other plans for me even though some days I question what that might be.

My heart went out to that woman on the radio phone call today. Her voice was strong and determined.  She said that they knew her husband was spiritually prepared for what lay ahead.  But I know what she is dealing with in the depths of her soul and I pray that God will give them peace.  I know He will.  

There is no greater peace than when God travels with you through the valley of death.  I'm thankful for the reminder to say a heartfelt praise to God for my life that I'm living today and for the reminder to get where I was with Him as I looked to Him daily for the mercy to make it through another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment