Friday, October 1, 2010

Apple Pie Squares Recipe

Today I'm going to give you my mom's recipe for apple pie squares which I made just the other day. I'm also going to attempt to link up with my friend Shelly  whose blog inspires me daily and who is a much better cook than I am.


 I've only attempted to make this once or twice before in my life because I stink at it, quite frankly.  So I  hope if you try it, it is a great success.  


Oh, they taste okay I guess.  But they are ugly, I tell you.  My mom makes them in a way that they are delicious AND beautiful.  So, if you want them done right, you'll have to give Lorraine a call!


APPLE PIE SQUARES
Filling:
8-10 cups cooking apples                2 T. cornstarch
1 cup water                                         1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar                                 Cinnamon
Salt




We start with the filling.  Bring 1 cup of water and 1 1/2 cups of sugar, along with a dash of salt to boil.  Blend 2 T. cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water together and add to boiling water mixture.  Cook for 5 minutes.


Add 8-10 cups of sliced apples to sugar mixture and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir occasionally as the apples "cook down". Then get ready to make your crust.


Crust:
     3 cups of flour                                1 egg
        1 cup shortening                            1 T. vinegar          
     Salt                                                  1/2 cup water
     3/4 tsp. baking powder


Cut shortening into dry ingredients with a pastry blender.  Moisten with egg, vinegar and water.  
This forms a dough and now comes the tricky part, at least for me.


Take half of the dough and roll it out to put into a 15 x 11 x 1 inch pan.  Save the other half for top crust.  I usually have to piece it together to make it work.  My mom says that she does too but I've watched her do her magic with a rolling pin and she's a rock star.




Pour the apple filling into the crust and sprinkle it with cinnamon.  Put the top crust on.  No pictures from me because like I told you, it is ugly.  Don't worry, if you're like me the frosting saves you!
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes -1 hour.  I baked mine the other day for about 50 minutes and it was golden brown on top.  However, I think I should have cooked it like Larry King, for the full hour.  
See, it is ugly but it is baked.  Oh, I did poke a fork around on the top crust before I baked it.  Not sure why but it seemed like something my mom would do. (For venting.  The crust not for you!)


When it is cool, you can frost it with powdered sugar frosting and it will look delicious!
Somehow my mom's frosting always looks more like a glaze than this.  Cut it into 3 x 3 inch squares and eat till your heart's content.  Refrigerate it once it cools and it makes for a delicious snack anytime.


Hope you enjoy one of my mom's famous treats!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yummy! I love apple pie squares! Thanks for the recipe, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just about have all the apples from our tree taken care of. I think I'll give this a try with some of them. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete