Sunday, April 3, 2011

In Whom He Delights

It is Sunday morning.  A beautiful day here in Kansas.  Sunshine, warmth, the obligatory wind and it is a great spring day.  It would be a great day to be at church hearing the Word and fellowshipping with friends.  But I am at home.  Still sick.


So I'm soaking in the time of pure aloneness that is a Sunday morning when the rest of the family is at church.  I'm going to watch my church's live streaming of today's service later.  I've been reading in Proverbs (still) and I'm going to share what has jumped out at me.


"My child, don't ignore it when the LORD disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you.  For the LORD corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights." 


I was so blessed to have a father who delighted in his children.  My dad treasured us and was quick to let us know how special we were to his life.  When I read those words "in whom he delights" I immediately identified with how God the Father relates to us.  Whenever my dad disciplined me he did it in love and with humility of spirit.  He did not lord it over us that he was the dad and his word was law.  His heart was moved to grief over our sins and though he followed through on his discipline it grieved him because he loved us and delighted in us.  


Because of the way my dad was when I was disciplined by him I was sorrowful that I had caused him pain because I loved him so dearly.  And I loved him so dearly because I  was so dearly loved.  


Of course I am drawing the comparisons between my dad and God the Father in my life.  And even if your dad did not delight in you there is  good news.  God the Father does delight in you even when He is disciplining you.  


But more than anything it is blessing my heart today to remember that my daddy delighted in me and showed me how to fall in love with Jesus.

Be Amazed

No comments:

Post a Comment