Thursday, October 16, 2014

Swedish Meatballs



I've had a request for the recipe of my mom's Swedish meatballs. I will give it the way I made it the other night. So here you go:

1 lb. ground beef
3/4 cup crushed rusks (I used toasted bread, about 2 slices)
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 T. chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
Pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice

 beef broth (I use 32 oz box)
2-4 T. flour

Combine first 9 ingredients and form into small balls, about  1 1/2 inches in diameter.  Brown on all sides in 1 tablespoon hot shortening ( I used butter). Once browned, add in all but about a cup of beef broth to skillet and stir together.  Then add the flour to the remaining cup of broth and mix to form a thickening agent.  Add to the pan and stir it in.  Let simmer for about 20 minutes and serve over noodles if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment